Previous
Blackburn Rovers
Leeds United
Postp
Game Details
Next

Football Federation Australia lays off 70 percent of staff due to coronavirus

FFA CEO James Johnson says border closures forced the A-League to postpone the season.

Australia's soccer federation has laid off 70 percent of its staff as it battles to remain solvent during a national shutdown to contain the coronavirus.

"This has been an extremely difficult decision to make, but necessary to stabilise the organisation so that it can continue to service the game, albeit in a vastly different landscape," Football Federation Australia chief executive James Johnson said in a statement on Friday.

- FFA probe golf buggy incident involving Phoenix players
- Randall:...

Australia calls for men's Olympic soccer age limit to be lifted for Tokyo 2021

USWNT star Carli Lloyd explains why she is personally excited the Olympics have been postponed to 2021.
Lionel Messi, Carli Lloyd and more join in a message to the world to advise on Coronavirus and how best to beat it.

FFA hope Tokyo's rescheduled 2021 Olympics features a revised under-24 men's soccer tournament to ensure a swathe of Olyroos that qualified the side all get a chance to compete.

Graham Arnold's team ended a 12-year Olympic absence by qualifying earlier this year for the tournament that is, aside from three over-age exemptions, usually an under-23 event.

- FFA probe golf buggy incident involving Phoenix players
- Randall: FFA's last chance to reset and fulfill football's potential
- Jukic: A-League...

Football Federation Australia's last opportunity to reset and fulfill soccer's true potential

FFA CEO James Johnson says border closures forced the A-League to postpone the season.

When Football Federation Australia CEO James Johnson said on Tuesday that "mission difficult, had become mission impossible," he was talking about the desire to complete the 2019-20 A-League season. But he could have just as easily have been summarising the game's attempts to stay afloat in its current model.

If reports circulating on Wednesday are to be believed, the suspension of the current A-League season has presented the opportunity for Fox Sports, the local broadcaster, to tear up their $57m-a-year...

A-League, W-League to continue playing through coronavirus shutdown

Amidst the coronavirus spread, FFA CEO James Johnson has confirmed that the A-League season will go ahead but behind closed doors.
Incredible last-ditch defending from Melbourne City holds the Wanderers to a 1-1 draw. Watch A-League on ESPN+.

The rest of the A-League season will be condensed with games played on three-day turnarounds, while all soccer competitions in Australia can continue despite the coronavirus pandemic.

Football Federation Australia says the remainder of the A-League season and this weekend's W-League Grand Final between Melbourne City and Sydney FC will proceed as scheduled but played in empty stadiums.

The governing body says all lower-level soccer leagues in Australia, including under-age competitions, can continue...