Jurgen Klopp: Loris Karius could start ahead of Simon Mignolet vs. Porto
Jurgen Klopp has suggested that Simon Mignolet will not be selected for Liverpool's Champions League game against Porto on Wednesday, casting further doubt upon the goalkeeper's future with the club.
Mignolet began the campaign as Liverpool's first choice, earning starts in the Premier League while Loris Karius started in the Champions League.
But Karius has started six of Liverpool's last seven games, with Mignolet left to handle the FA Cup fourth-round loss to West Bromwich Albion on Jan. 27, and Klopp said that the process in which he decides upon his starting keeper has changed.
"To be honest, I have not made the final decision, but it is not the same situation as it was," Klopp told reporters. "A good one will play, but I haven't made the decision so far."
Karius, who joined Liverpool from Mainz in 2016, told the Telegraph that making regular appearances has helped lead to his uptick in form.
He has earned a clean sheet in two of his last three games, including a 2-0 win away against Southampton on Sunday and a 3-0 win at Huddersfield Town on Jan. 30.
"I am feeling good and getting consistent game time helps a lot," Karius said. "In the last few games, I have had more stuff to do and I have been able to make some saves, which gives you more confidence.
"I feel good, I feel strong and I always try to be there when the team needs me. I have had a lot of experience but it definitely helps when you play regularly instead of coming in and out of the team."
Klopp said on Jan. 19 that Karius would take over as Liverpool's primary goalkeeper and when Mignolet started in the FA Cup, it seemed as though the two players had switched roles.
Mignolet, the 29-year-old Belgium international, joined Liverpool from Southampton in 2013 and said last month that Karius becoming Klopp's first choice will require him to re-examine his future at Anfield.
"I always try to stay quiet and calm," Mignolet said. "In the past, I did come back stronger from such situations.
"But I must of course also think of my own future. The only thing I can do is focus on my training and do my best. I become 30 years old and the World Cup is coming this summer. This situation cannot take too long, which is clear. I cannot lose any more time."
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.