Everton
12:30 AM UTC Apr 25, 2018
Deportivo Lara
Millonarios
10:15 PM UTC Apr 24, 2018
 By Ian Holyman

Claude Makelele leaves Swansea, named coach of Belgian side Eupen

PARIS, FRANCE - DECEMBER 11: Claude Makelele attends the French Ligue 1 match between Paris Saint Germain (PSG) and OGC Nice at Parc des Princes stadium on December 11, 2016 in Paris, France.
Claude Makalele won honours with Real Madrid, Chelsea and PSG during his playing career.

Claude Makelele has left his position as a coach at Swansea and been appointed boss of struggling Belgian side Eupen.

The former France international midfielder worked as an assistant coach at Paris Saint-Germain before a brief, unsuccessful stint as head coach at Bastia during the 2014-15 season.

He also worked behind the scenes at Monaco before joining Paul Clement's backroom staff at Swansea City last January.

Eupen believe he is the man to help steer them away from the bottom of the Belgian top flight where they currently sit with just two wins and 10 points from their first 14 matches.

"Eupen would like to wish a warm welcome to its new French coach, Claude Makelele, who has an extraordinary list of honours as a player and solid experience as a coach on an international level," a statement on the club's official website read, confirming Makelele as the replacement for Spaniard Jordi Condom.

"Eupen is convinced that Claude Makelele will be able to help the team and the whole club achieve their objectives through his personality, his experience and his motivation through the two-and-a-half years of his contract.

"Claude Makelele is delighted at the idea of taking on this new challenge, to which he envisages giving himself body and soul."

Makelele will take his first training session on Tuesday morning before being officially presented to media later in the day.

In quotes published on the Swansea website, Makelele added: "I've really enjoyed my time at Swansea, especially helping the club secure its Premier League status last season.

"I'd like to thank the owners, chairman and the manager for giving me the opportunity. The experience has given me a lot of positives to help me in my managerial career in the future -- and I hope I've been able to give something back to the club along the way.

"It's a wonderful football club; a real family club that's been a pleasure to serve. I'd like to thank everyone for the welcome and help I've received in Swansea from the backroom staff to the fans."

Ian is ESPN's French football correspondent. Twitter: @ian_holyman