Transfer Talk: Jose Mourinho dares Paul Pogba to hand in transfer request as rift widens
The English transfer window is closed, but the rest of Europe is still open for business, and Transfer Talk has the latest rumours making the rounds. Follow along with our daily blog throughout the summer.
TOP STORY: Mou tells Pogba to 'ask for transfer'
The fraught relationship between Jose Mourinho and Paul Pogba is apparently approaching a breaking point with the Manchester United manager warning his captain about airing grievances to the media.
Per the Sun, the "extraordinary" dust-up between the two has culminated in Mourinho sarcastically informing Pogba that he should just come out and request a transfer if he really wants to leave United.
The United boss was infuriated by Pogba hinting to the media recently that he would be fined if he said what was really on his mind about playing under Mourinho.
Apparently, the Portuguese has since sat his 25-year-old protege down at a "showdown" meeting and told him that "if he wishes to leave Manchester, again, all he has to do is ask."
Pogba snapped back by telling Mourinho that if he plans to speak to him formally again he will have to do so by going through his agent, Mino Raiola.
All the while, the Mail reports Barcelona are continuing to monitor the potentially seismic rift that is opening up between the squabbling pair.
Blimey. The next six months are going to be a laugh a minute at Old Trafford.
Ospina set for Arsenal exit
David Ospina is edging ever closer to the exit door at Arsenal with word that the Colombian goalkeeper, bumped down the pecking order by the arrival of Bernd Leno, is set to undergo a medical at Napoli.
As reported by Sky Italia, Ospina flew to Naples on Wednesday night to put the finishing touches to his imminent move to the Stadio San Paolo.
Napoli have also included a first-dibs clause in the small print of the 29-year-old's deal, allowing them to sign him on permanent terms next year.
The Partenopei are desperate to sign a keeper after Alex Meret, himself a new signing from Udinese, suffered a broken arm while training last month.
Liverpool reject Grujic approach
Liverpool have rejected an approach from Torino to take Marko Grujic on a season-long loan, according to a report by the Sun.
The Serie A side are reportedly seeking to take the 22-year-old midfielder for the remainder of the current season while reserving an option to sign him on a permanent £9 million deal come the summer.
However, the Reds have declined the offer as they are keen to tie Grujic (who spent 2017-18 on loan at Cardiff City) down to a new long-term contract before allowing him to continue honing his craft away from his parent club.
- Bordeaux, who are currently managed by Gus Poyet, have successfully opened negotiations with Rangers over a move for striker Alfredo Morelos after previously seeing an opening offer of around £3.75 million declined, according to a Sky Sports News report.
- Gianluca Di Marzio says Udinese are on the lookout for a new striker and their latest target is Haris Seferovic, the 26-year-old Switzerland international who is just one year into a five-year contract at Benfica.